Clincial Trials Laboratory Technician- 12 Month Fixed Term
This role is in the Laboratory of Queen Anne Street Clinical Trials (QASCT) which is situated at the Queen Anne St. Medical Centre in Central London.
The QASCT Laboratory is dedicated to formally evaluate the mechanisms of inflammation in general and specifically in respiratory disease (asthma, allergy, COPD). The clinical trials unit conducts studies to evaluate and determine the potential of new therapeutic agents in asthma, allergy and COPD, and also in urology and gastro-enterology. The laboratory will also develop novel biomarkers and evaluate surrogate biomarkers of inflammation. Facilities are available for Phase I, Phase II and Phase III clinical testing of new drugs in these areas. The unit has consolidated its expertise and experience and has a proven track record in performing clinically based pharmacological research to the highest international standards.
1. To assist and perform with general laboratory duties to contribute to providing an effective and efficient laboratory service
a) To comply with the requirements set out in the QASCT Laboratory Policy.
b) To assist the other laboratory staff in the day to day running of the lab facility.
c) To ensure the sample management procedures are carried out as per QASCT Lab SOPs.
d) To ensure that samples are processed, stored and destroyed appropriately according to the study protocol, analytical plan and GCP/GCLP requirements.
e) To ensure processes and procedures performed are documented fully and records are maintained to a high standard.
f) To ensure the laboratory equipment is maintained and calibrated according to QASCTLaboratory SOPs
g) To ensure that laboratory resources are sourced cost effectively.
h) To maintain and promote high standards of infection control practice.
2. To assist with the implementation of effective archiving systems within the Laboratory
a) To ensure records are maintained and managed to a high standard that adhere to GCP/GCLP requirements
b) To assist with the development and management of archive databases and transportation records
c) To report system failures to senior members of the laboratory team and contribute to problem solving solutions
3. To assist with general administrative duties within the Laboratory
a) To assist with general administrative duties within the laboratory
b) To assist with data QC procedures and data filing within the laboratory
c) To assist with stock taking and ordering of goods/services as and when required.
1. Teamwork & Innovation
a) To exhibit a high standard of communication and interpersonal skills within the
b) To actively contribute to the development of the team by sharing ideas and initiatives
d) To report conflicts and problems to the department manager as they may arise
2. Management of Information
a) To ensure that participant’s confidentiality is observed at all times.
b) To ensure that records are maintained in accordance with local policies.
3. Marketing & I.T.
a) To exhibit excellent I.T skills with a good knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
b) To participate in the positive marketing of the clinical trials unit.
4. Personal Development and Training
a) To participate in house education programmes as appropriate
b) To successfully complete induction and orientation programme
c) Comply with units standard operating procedures and policies
d) To demonstrate continuing professional development which reflects the needs of the post holder and the unit
This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties and should be regarded as a broad description of the post. Alterations to this document may take place from time to time as the responsibilities and requirements of the post-holder develop. This document reflects the core activities of the role and as the Laboratory and the post holder develop, there will inevitably be changes in the emphasis of duties. It is expected that the post holder will recognise this and adopt a flexible approach to work and be willing to participate in training. If changes to the job become significant, the Medical Director, Director of Clinical Research and the post holder should review the job description formally. During busy periods within the unit the Laboratory team may be required to adopt a shift pattern, details of these patterns will be openly discussed amongst the laboratory team to ensure that shifts are fairly allocated.
Information of a confidential nature must be kept strictly confidential and should never be disclosed either inside or outside work. It should be noted that breach of confidentiality is a serious offence, which may lead to dismissal.
Training and Education:
QASCT recognises the importance of training in achieving its objective of pursuing excellence in teaching, research and clinical practice through the activities of its staff. We are committed to providing training for all members of staff so that they can perform their jobs effectively and offering them opportunities for further development.
PERSON SPECIFICATION – Laboratory Technician
- 5 GCSE’s including Maths and English or equivalent NVQ.
- BSc Biology or Analytical degree
- Experience of managing confidential administration systems
- Accuracy in documentation of data and effective time management skills
- Experience of processing lab Samples
- Experience of non supervised Lab activities
- Computer literacy for presentation of data, such as MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint and email
- The ability and confidence to liaise with colleagues
- Ability to work under sporadic pressure
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good negotiation skills to ensure effective value for money
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail
- The ability and confidence to liaise with colleagues
- Flexibility to work a) under detailed instruction and b) independent of supervision
- Approachable manner and team based attitude
- Punctual timekeeping
- Experience in processing Sputum and bronchial and nasal lavage
- Knowledge of GCP and GCLP
- Knowledge of respiratory disease